Bike

Bike



Wednesday 1 December 2010

Training starts today



In March 2011 I will be traveling to Italy to participate in the 2011 Paracycling Track World Championships. How I do there will largely determine my future as an elite cyclist and my position on the squad... and most importantly... my potential to go to London. A top 3 finish in either of my events will cement my future and keep me on the right track (pardon the pun), whilst a lower finishing position does not spell disaster, but muddies the waters. So I am aiming to get on that podium.

The squad will be doing everything we can to get ready for this event - including several training camps between now and March. But the majority of the hard work must be done on our own. Coach sent over my training plan from now until January last night - and the hard work starts today.

It's a mix of gym work to build strength and many hours on the bike - both indoors and out. Two sessions a day for the most part. If you thought we just show up and ride - you are sorely mistaken!

With the snow that has just fallen here, the roads are a mess, so all of my training will be done indoors for now. I have a gym session followed by 2 hours spinning the legs on the turbo trainer (my bike hooked up to something of a treadmill for the rear wheel - for those that don't know). I also have phone calls to both my coach and the strength and conditioning coach to look forward to.

At this time of year, most people take cycling at a slow pace, building their base, riding less and just trying to keep some level of fitness before training starts in earnest next year. I don;t have that luxury. I have to stay focussed and look forward to several months of pain and hard work already!

So - here is me racing last May on the track in Newport, Wales. I need to drop 8 seconds from my time in the Kilo (1 KM race against the clock) and about 20 seconds off my Pursuit (3 KM against the clock) times. Not easy - but can do it!