Bike

Bike



Monday 29 October 2012

1409 Days to go...

1409 days to go. Yes, that's correct. 1409 days until the start of the Rio 2016 Paralympics. It seems a lifetime away (and in sporting terms, especially for me, it probably is). But that's the goal and we start preparing for it today.

London 2012 was a bust. So many things went wrong for me and as a result I missed out on the medals. In one instance by a mere 1/10th of a second. That is something that will live with me forever. But I can't change that now – I can only use it to drive me on and try and make up for it in the future.

I can't say for certain if I'll make it all the way to Rio. But I'm going to try my hardest to get there. And win a medal. Because I have unfinished business. But first... I want to retain my World Championship titles in the Time Trial and Individual Pursuit. (The TT is in Canada in August 2013 and the Pursuit in Italy in March 2014)

Despite the failures of London, I am still the reigning World Champion in both these events, so from today my training starts again in earnest to keep ahold of those titles. Win... and I carry on. Lose, and it'll be time to reassess my future in the sport. But I am 100% committed to winning.

So, as training for my 2013 season begins, I want to thank all my sponsors that are sticking with me and hopefully I can get a few new key ones on board. I'll need all the help I can get.

As with previous years, I'll continue to document my journey and the struggles (and joys) I face along the way. Thanks for taking an interest... and strap yourself in for the ride. I think it may be a bumpy one!