Bike

Bike



Monday 4 February 2013

This one is for the kids


It's not often I get a chance to make a difference in someone else's life and give something back, but that's exactly what I want to do in 2013. I am going to be supporting a few key events and am hoping that you (the cycling public) will get behind me and these events.

First up is for the folks in Ireland. On May 4, I will be participating in the Cycle4Life ride in aid of the Temple Street Children's University Hospital. To the people of Ireland – this is YOUR chance to come out and not only ride with me, but also support a GREAT cause!!

Details on the events can be found here: http://www.cycle4life.ie but the rundown is as follows: there are 3 routes to choose from – 5km, 63km and 147km (the start point is close to Dunboyne outside of Dublin). I'm doing the long route (and it's not for novices) but I'll be around at the start and finish to try and meet as many people as possible. There's also a bit of a Gala Dinner afterwards and I'll be hoping to see you all there!

Being a member of the Paralympic team, it was a bit of a no-brainer that I support a charity that helps sick kids. Last year, Cycle4Life raised over €125,000 for the Temple Street Children's Hospital and we'd like to significantly beat that amount this year!

If you can't ride, you can volunteer some time or even just donate a few pennies to the cause. 100% of donations go to the charity.

So, save the date on your calendars and register for the ride. It's not a race – but I'm sure many of us will be out there riding hard! I really hope that as many of you as possible will come out and join me in supporting this very worthy cause – and get some great miles (or kilometers) in on the bike! If you're a cyclist, you'll appreciate that actually doing a good ride that benefits a charity is far better than merely donating money to the cause!

I've been working hard this winter getting my fitness up and ready for the race season ahead. Why not come out and test yourself against me on a challenging day out? If I leave you behind, it's OK... you can say you got beat by a World Champion! (But if you beat me, I'm going to use the "I've only got one leg" excuse!) In all seriousness - it should a FUN day out for everyone no matter how fast or slowly you do the ride. Remember – it's for the kids!!!

If you can't ride but would still like to sponsor me in this event, I'd love a bit of support. Even €5 would go a long way to help!

Follow this link to sponsor me: http://www.mycharity.ie/event/ttworldchamp/